Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Calm Down, We Can ALL Be Eating Disordered

Edit: The commenter apologized in the previous post, so you can go read her response there. I think I'll keep the post up, because it's so symptomatic of how people respond to fat people with eating disorders, but there's no ongoing fight or grudge going on here. We all lash out sometimes.
"Anonymous said...
wow you must've looked hilarious buying four chocolate bars. disgusting. Four is so unnecessary. and bullSHIT you have an eating disorder, unless its binge eating. You insult me, and others, who actually fear calories and would be suicidal at a third your size."

This is a comment I got to my previous post, where I discussed throwing out the scale and buying lots of food so I can eat what I want. I did this as a gesture of healing from what I call an eating disorder, although I don't have a diagnosis or more precise name for it. I just feel miserable and guilty about my eating habits, think about my weight all the time, weigh myself too often, get anxiety attacks over fat hate, etc. etc. My friend Robyn, who has suffered from anorexia, was the one to tell me I need to kill it dead. So today, obviously another anorexic tells me I insult her by thinking I have a problem.

I could have deleted it as a flame, but I kept it and responded. It's obviously meant to be both humiliating and insulting - drawing attention to my size, exaggerating it (a third my size? Bwah), using bully tactics, denying my right to name my problem. This tells me the person felt very mad and threatened when she read my post.

As I mentioned, I don't have a diagnosis. That means I'm not taking anyone's bed or place in therapy. I'm naming my problem and fighting against it, with the help of my boyfriend and closest friends. If I saw a doctor and told them everything I told Robyn, they may diagnose me, or they may just conclude that I need to eat less. Even if a doctor gave me a diagnosis, I probably couldn't expect for a lot of sympathy or support in healing; a lot of people would question the diagnosis and whether it's "a real eating disorder". Atypical eating disorders - or even binge eating disorder/compulsive eating - are very little known and there's very little help available. And OK, let's say I technically don't have an eating disorder (yet); it's still a serious problem that I have these thought patterns and guilt feelings. I need to ease my pressure or it will really depress me. In fact, I'm already on antidepressants.

Here's the big question: Why should it INSULT someone if I think I have an eating disorder? It helps me conceptualize the problem and be determined to change it. If I need to see the problem as a separate creature that I need to destroy, what's it to you?

I've thought of it a lot and here's my conclusion: the commenter is angry because she does not want to be lumped together with a fatty. If a fat person can have an eating disorder, then the concept of eating disorders is tarnished with fat and gluttony, and it makes her anorexia look like a joke. This is sad, but it's just the eating disorder speaking. My disorder is different in nature, but it has similar thought patterns. For instance, I was pretty angry at first when I read about HAES and fat people who exercise. "They're bringing the slim world's antics into the fat world! It will be tainted!" It's really just the same thing turned around.

The sad part is, this would pretty much be my parents' reaction, without the whole "you insult me because I have a REAL problem". I had bulimia symptoms at ages 15 and 18; both times, my mother told me I do not have an eating disorder and I need to stop dramatizing. "We all binge," she said, as if our family sits around eating until we throw up. This is pretty much how our culture deals with a fat girl who feels she has a problem. In a way, fat people are seen as unhealthy; in another way, we're seen as "healthy", as in "you look healthy". If you look healthy, how can you be sick inside?

Of course, I share this problem with all the normalweight people with eating disorders. If you're not critically skinny, people will usually not see you as sick. Normalweight is the ideal, so how could someone at that size be sick? As an added bonus, a fat person is expected to think and behave in eating disordered ways. We should be counting the calories of every bite. We should be overexercising. We should hate our bodies and consider them unattractive. It's understandable if we sit around thinking about the weight all the time; that just means we have a problem and have to do something about it.

It's sad that sometimes, people who could understand and support each other are unable to do so, because the disorder does just that. Robyn isn't controlled by her disorder anymore, so she can see we're not that different. In this comment above, I just see the disorder creature spitting and growling at me. I recognize its hideous face. That's why it's hard to be mad at the commenter, even if her words did hurt; I'm still vulnerable and ashamed of myself. But it helps to know where it's coming from.

These are complex issues and it's always hard to talk about such a topic without someone else's pain crashing into your own. I hope everyone struggling with eating disorders, diagnosed or unrecognized, will get help and support from someone.

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, you can extend this to all kinds of ailments: which cancer is the worst? If you "only" have a breast cancer that is highly curable, you can't complain, but a lung cancer patient can? Ummm... It just makes no sense. You can't really compare and compete with these things, or at least it's no use to yourself or anyone else.

    A lot of people in this society at least have problems with eating, if not disorders. Normal weight people, thin people, fat people, all are battling with guilt related to eating or not eating! Maybe this whole society is suffering from an eating disorder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe so! It's definitely not a healthy culture when it comes to eating.

    Robyn said competition and comparison are part of an eating disorder. It makes sense: who's the thinnest, who eats the least... Perhaps the same goes for diagnoses and definitions. If I'm able to eat enough to get so fat, that must mean I'm well, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that when I started my recovery, I actually had to cut myself off from a lot of my friends, even regular friends who didn't have something easily identified as an eating disorder, largely because of this. This is a culture of fat hate, and a culture which repeatedly asserts that my body is my morality, is my goodness. And so all those naturalized "woman" things, criticizing your body, talking about losing weight, which are 100% mainstream things that I see all the time in ads, in TV, and heard in "regular" conversation, I just couldn't hack it. There was no help there - the only way I could recover was to completely reject that I "should" think about my weight. It got pretty lonely, but it worked. Gots me a regular period now, six years later! That actually sucks, but taken as a sign of health, it's something that I'm really proud of.

    About diagnosis comparison, yes, I think that definitely operates along the same lines. I think that all the time - I didn't die, I wasn't hospitalized, I'm okay now, so obviously I never had a real problem. Never mind that I existed in a state of utter misery for years. Never mind that the reason I didn't end up in hospital is likely because I was still a heavy drinker (okay, let's be honest - I was a drunk, and probably for the same reasons I was an anorexic), and luckily there's calories in alcohol.

    I have come to understand that this is a trick the disorder pulls to stay in my head - stop me from talking about it, stop me from getting help when I need it, drive me to get sicker so that it's "real". All of these things are tactics it uses to support itself. Sometimes, when I'm having a bad time, and I try to tell someone, I can feel it sitting in my head like a literal weight, like it's actually pushing down on me and I have to fight to speak. Sometimes I succeed. Sometimes I don't.

    PS: You are hella awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the sad thing about women's culture. I've been avoiding an ex-bulimic friend, because she's often on a diet and seems to have kept a lot of her "i'm just a fat girl" thoughts. She even told me she wouldn't dare go out to eat with anyone but me, she'd be too ashamed.

    I've had all of those feelings too - like wanting to throw up so it becomes a real bulimia, or something. Of course, not having many "truly" eating disordered behaviors, I look upon someone like you as a more.. well, heavyweight would be the ironically wrong word to use here, wouldn't it? A die-hard eating disordered person? While I'm just a beginner, if even in that club. Without your assurance, I'd have a very hard time even saying I MIGHT have an eating disorder. I'd be scared that I'm making a fool of myself, because no one agrees.

    Btw, the commenter posted an apology in the previous post, so I guess my approach was positive and helped to resolve the situation. That feels encouraging.

    PS: Thank you thank you thank you :* for everything you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (TW eating disorder talk and numbers)Everyone no matter what size deserves to learn/be able to eat in a non disordered fashion, When I was in my teens I was hospitalized three times for anorexia. I thought I was recovered, but even now in my 40s and having been "obese" by the BMI I still relapse and, you know what even if you are obese and you eat less then 600 calories a day for some months you can still have all the electrolyte, organ issues, vitamin deficiencys and anemia you have at 100 pounds My doctor wants me back in counseling and my family was freaked out how sick I'd gotten again, and it was missed for a while because I didn't go to my regular doctor and the other doctor was thrilled I'd lost about 30 lbs in just over two months because I was fat ya know, and fat people can't have eating disorders, she even suggested I might need to cut fast food (not that I was eating any at the time) just so I could lose more. And about female culture and friends ,I tried to talk to a close friend about what was happening and all she could talk about is how she wished she could loose weight like that, Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God. It's a sick culture we live in. It makes me so mad that even doctors do this. Why is a FAST weight loss what they want? They should know it's not good for you anyway.

    I hope you're getting the help you deserve right now. More power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this. I have struggled with an ED (lots of bulimia) for a long time. You give me hope. I am glad you said this. I did not seek help for many years because I thought I was too big to deserve help. I really wanted counseling when it was at its worst but I thought I needed to diet to be underweight or else the counselor wouldn't take me seriously. We all deserve to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely deserve help! <3 I'm so glad if I could help you out. I wish I could do more... Hmm, maybe google "fat friendly physicians"? There may be a list up at the "first, do no harm" blog. (if you live in the US.)I certainly hope you find the help you need AND DESERVE, despite ignorance (even among doctors) about eating disorders and fat. More power to you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even tho' this post was from ages ago, I so hear you.
    My weight is per se healthy, as I fluctuate between 105 and 115 at 5'4'', but my relationship with it and with my body is furthest thing from it you can imagine. I believe I do have a disorder, or at least a very disordered approach towards food and weight when i finding myself moving in bed all night, unable to sleep, because i cherish the few calories that movement will generate or getting a panic attack if I see I've gained one pound. I haven't lost my period and I'm not emaciated, but i feel that I wont be allowed to have my behaviour recognised as a real psychological problem, it won't be late until I'll fin myself with those deadly symptoms that will allow me to enter the goldn gates of the 'actually sick', but I'd rather not to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel you. This is a real problem with eating disorders: in some places, you have to be REALLY sick before you get some help. It might depend on the physician though. Maybe you should talk to your doctor and see how they react to it? They could at least suggest some medication for your anxiety. It's not a permanent solution, but it might be a start. Loss of menses can't be the main requirement if a man can be diagnosed with anorexia also.

    Maybe culture will change soon to acknowledge "mild" forms of ED's and allow for more treatment. More power to you! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete