Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Micro Fatressions

I have started a Tumblr called Micro Fatgressions. The idea comes from migro aggressions, which also have a Tumblr dedicated to them.

A migro aggression is a small, annoying comment, often said in the guise of a joke. It's something that you can't really help, but that stays under your skin. If you should react, you'll be told "Lighten up" or "You're so sensitive".

Do you get comments about your size? Any pent-up feelings of frustration and anger for your loved ones, friends, coworkers? Don't hesitate to submit! No comment is too minor. (You can submit by clicking "vent fatgressions here". Oh, I apparently haven't decided yet if it's "fatressions" or "fatgressions". Any opinions?)

It has fat in the title, but comments about thinness are also welcome. It's still about fat if it's about the absence thereof.

All of these so far are from me, and I'm really beginning to notice how annoying my Mom is with this...

10 comments:

  1. Does it count if it's something I overheard about another fat person whom I don't know and who wasn't there? Because if so, I have a great one from last weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They happen all the time to me. One of the more notable ones happened when I was a much younger woman. I was buying something or other and mentioned to the sales clerk that I was getting married soon. She looked me up and down and said, "YOU?!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesus. O.o

    And yes, those both count. Submit away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one that keeps getting me is the way that other fat people who haven't seen the FA light (and even some thin people who haven't figured out they aren't even fat) keep trying to make me their ally in dieting/fat shame/food fear. It's those little winks along with comments about how 'we're' being 'bad' by eating a cookie or a handful of popcorn or a drink that isn't a diet soda.

    I'll be standing there wearing my Scarlet Fat necklace, and talking about my adventures in the world of FAT ACCEPTANCE... and it's like the whole thing is still so foreign to them - even when I've been doing this for something like three years and change - that they don't even notice. It won't register that I don't participate and have no intention of ever participating in the diet culture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I get that too with some friends. It's even more frustrating if they're FAT friends who seem to like my FA status, yet never read this blog or look up anything about it online. It's like they think fat acceptance means "it's ok to be chubby but it gets too much if you're obese" (the popular "wisdom" many people seem to believe in).

    I can't really demand them to change their whole way of thinking, but can't they at least see that I've changed mine?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer "fatgressions" because the other one doesn't properly convey the word-smash, I think.

    I'm sooo glad you set this up. As soon as I can remember one I will post it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like "fatgressions" best too. Like fattery says, it makes it clearer which words are being smushed together. It also strikes me as easier to pronounce. I've got a submission for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tried to follow, but it says not found?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm sorry! I changed it to fatgressions, as was wished by some commenters here. I've fixed the link, try again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really pscyhed at how many submissions are coming in! :)

    Also, after some thought, I do prefer fatgressions. Fatressions somehow makes me think fat+stress+ions..?

    ReplyDelete